About Me

My photo
Now retired but busy still living..

Tuesday 2 May 2017

Living The Dream......

At the end of last week Eva the Eriba was booked in for her annual service and water ingress test....
This meant that we needed to pack the awning away and all of our kit (so much easier with the inflatable awning) which we did the day before....

An early start was called for but not as early as last year......Last year we left so early that we arrived at Automotive Leisure (the Main Dealers) about 15mins before they opened...
This time we arrived right on time..... Not bad considering we are pitched about 13 miles from  AL and it is always a bit difficult to judge the morning rush traffic....

After dropping Eva off... Anne and I treated ourselves to a nice cooked breakfast to get over the early start. Early starts are not something that we have to do much these days although since we have been here this was our second early start as just over a week ago I had an 0800hrs appt at the hospital for a routine scan... (All OK)

After the full english breakfast we spent the day in Poole and while we were there we visited the Quay and looked across at the SunSeeker Boat building units.....
One of the boats that appeared to have just been finished and fitted out was this.........
Sunseeker boat called 'Living The Dream'
 This fantastic boat was much larger than it appears in this picture but the thing that I spotted was the name on the side which read 'Living The Dream'......

This got me thinking..... Great and very expensive as it obviously is it has never been my Dream...... However most people have a dream that they would love to live....
For some it is to sail around the Med in a multi million pound yacht such as this.....
For others it's to travel hotel to hotel around the world and for other people it could be living on a remote island somewhere.....Etc..Etc...

As I touched on in my two previous posts.... for Anne and I the dream was doing what we are currently doing and we are glad that we were able to start this great way of life.....
What is the dream that you would like to live?
General View of SunSeekers...

The Custom House in Poole
The above image is of 'The Custom House' which is situated in the oldest part of Poole quay....
This is a very handsome Grade 11 listed Georgian building.
During the nineteenth century the Custom House was used for collecting extra taxes for boats entering Poole Harbour....
HM Treasury closed the Custom House in 1883 and in recent years it has been used as a restaurant...
This too has now closed and the future use of the building is currently uncertain.....

4 comments:

Dave said...

Its always good to get to a certain time in your life and to be living and doing what you what, whatever that is. Whilst I enjoy going away in our van I know I would miss having a house and garden and dont think I could do what you have done. Keep the stories coming as its so interesting to read them. We've had a long spell of dry weather here which has been great for cycling. We visited A L a couple of years ago and nearly bought an Eriba, but after much thought we stayed with the motorhome. All the best.

TrevorW�� said...

*Dave*
Yes Dave I can understand that this way of life would not suit everyone...we all have our own dreams and desires and it is a good job that we don't all want to be doing the same thing.... The campsites would be pretty packed if we all wanted to do this :-)

As you say we have had a long spell of great cycling weather and while we were in Dorset(we are now in Wiltshire)I managed to get out on the bike quite a lot...

I was interested to hear that a couple of years ago you had considered an Eriba.... I wonder what prompted you to think about a possible change from the motorhome and what made your decision to stick with it...?

Dave said...

Trevor, we were very tempted by the Eriba as it’s so well made and I have always admired them when on campsites abroad. The reason for considering the change was to give us more mobility when on a campsite and by using the car to get around.
The reasons against it where;
Having to change the car for a larger more powerful one and so having bigger day to day motoring expenses and we do a lot of miles per annum.
Towing I used to tow a caravan and didn’t really want to do it again.
Ease of setting up and packing up as we don’t tend to stay in one place long.
Getting around wasn’t a problem for me as I cycle and although my wife cycles she doesn’t like hills, so we bought an electric bike for her. Now it’s me who can’t keep up.

TrevorW�� said...

*Dave*
Thanks for that Dave.... I always think that if you like to have short campsite stays and like to keep moving on then a motorhome is the better choice....We have noticed that wherever we stay caravans have longer stays while motorhomes seem to hit the road again after just a few days or less....
Good training trying to keep up with an E-bike especially up hills :-)

Six weeks off.

 The visit to see the Consultant went quite well really ...   My ' numbers' have started to creep up again so I am going to be given...